Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Yes, It's a Good Day for singing a song

There are some songs that just make me feel good. Not necessarily new songs but songs that are infectious and no matter the mood I am in they always turn around when I hear these songs. One of my fav's is It's a Good Day by Peggy Lee. I can't help but feel great and all smiles when I here this song. Could it be the big band mixed with a bit of jazz? Could it be Peggy Lee's incredible voice. I can picture the band just hopping with excitement as they each take their solos.

Have you ever had a song make you feel that good? Sometimes it is an unusual suspect like His Eye is on the Sparrow when you here the chorus ..."so I sing because I'm happy, I sing because I'm free..." I love singing this song and I love hearing it sung. Check out Lauren Hill and Tanya Blount's version.
Some feel good songs bring back happy memories like Feelin' Groovy by Simon and Garfunkel or Do Re Mi from the sound of music. Now if you really want to put a smile on your face, watch the flash mob version.
And then there is Ray Charles. I always hit repeat on Ray Charles tunes. I was driving home from Moncton the other day listening to CBC's shift program and they played Ray Charles singing You Are My Sunshine. You remember this from your childhood? I do. Kindergarten or preschool all of us little kids holding hands, standing in a circle singing, probably even swinging my arms back and forth.
So what is your favorite feel good song? Maybe it is Don't Worry, Be Happy by Bobbi McFerrin or is it I'm Into Something Good by Herman's Hermits? What about Footloose by Kenny Loggins. That song always had people on the dance floor. And then there is The Proclaimer's I'm Gonna Be (500 miles). you may not know the words to the verses but you will shout out the chorus everytime...
"I would walk 500 miles and I would walk 500 more.
Just to be the man who walks a thousand miles
to fall down at your door"

The next time you are driving in your car and your feel good song comes on the radio or your playlist. Crank up the volume and sing like no one is listening. Guarenteed you will feel good.

No comments:

Post a Comment