Friday, February 5, 2010

Perspective

This morning was the highlight of my week. A big part of what we do at The Girls is empower women, help them feel good about themselves, stand a little taller physically and emotionally. Tammy and I have been wanting to give back to our community but how was the question. There are so many non profit organizations out there that need a helping hand. The Coverdale Center For Women Inc. seemed where we were being called to help, but I didn't really know how much until I met the five incredible women who keep that place running.
The center is a shelter, a halfway house, a refuge for women who have nothing, who have felt like nothing and society have written off. Not right I tell you. This center helps these women by showing them compassion, gives them counseling, helps them with self improvement, life skills and so much more.
If you are reading this you probably have a computer or laptop, a warm house and food to eat. I am guessing you blew $20 this week on stuff you can't remember. Luxuries.

Tammy and I took approx. 60 bras with us to donate to the shelter.The residence and staff were excited and waiting for us. Starting this year, the Girls are donating $1 for every bra they sell to the center. That's just a drop in the bucket, I know. What they need is more people to help out. I can't imagine the life the women have experienced that lead them to take refuge at the center. I tip my hat to Nancy and her team, you are doing amazing work.


"... I was hungry and you fed me,
I was thirsty and you gave me a drink,
I was homeless and you gave me a room,
I was shivering and you gave me clothes,
I was sick and you stopped to visit,
I was in prison and you came to me." Matthew 25: 35-36, The Message

No comments:

Post a Comment