Saturday, February 2, 2013

What's the Plan, Ann?

I have had a few people ask me lately "what are you doing? Can you share your training/ weight loss plan" 

It really is as simple as calories in vs. calories out. And I always thought I was following that rule until I started running. My running life has evolved very slowly. Walk 2 min/ Run 1 min/ Walk 2 min for 2 or 3 miles and eventually I kept adding more running minutes and less walking. That was 2 yrs ago. I still have days where I need to take a 1 min walk break here and there. Eventually, I got the runner's high and that set me off... I wanted to improve my time/ go longer distances/ avoid shin splints etc. so to do that I started doing strength training and cross training on my non-running days. Spent $10 on a Jillian Michaels dvd and joined Tribesports , got myself a set of 2lb, 3lb, 5lb dumbbells and a yoga mat for strength training. Dusted off my bike/ and kayak. Now I have the tools for burning the calories. 


I LOVE food but I knew that had to change too. I cleaned up my eating in just afew very small ways (I knew if they were drastic changes I would fail)  



  1. More water. Aim for 2 to 3L a day. One or two of those drinks may end up being green tea
  2. 1/2 my dinner plate is veggies 1/4 starch and 1/4 protein... Did I mention I love food? I may not adhere to this everyday but at least 5 of the 7 days a week I do. 
  3. gotta have a piece of fruit a day. Or more. It's true "an apple a day keeps the doctor away" 
These simple steps have made me feel so much better. And if I go crazy with a big bowl of pasta and some wine, I am determined to burn the calories the next day. 
And my weight loss is not off the charts but I look and feel healthy than I ever have. It's not a fancy program but it is working. Notably, it is working on the stuff on the inside which is showing on the outside. 
I should mention that I set goals often and I reward myself when I reach them. This is a great motivator because sometimes my wants are greater than my needs (whose aren't?) and when I set a goal, I feel I have earned the reward. My rewards range anywhere from a pedicure to new running pants. 

Most importantly, don't give up. That is the easy way out. Anything worth having is worth the hard work!





No comments:

Post a Comment