Saturday, February 9, 2013

Today was one of those days where I just didn't feel like working. I had been curled up on the sofa most of the lazy day, I needed to get up and go burn some calories. I managed to go 4 miles but it felt like torture while I was running it. I couldn't wait for it to be over. I have been trying to figure out why my last few runs have felt like such a chore. Maybe it is the weather. Our cold Canadian winters can play an awful mind game, making the most optimistic feel exhausted and sluggish.  Or it could be the week I spent lazing on the Cuban beaches followed by a week of cold and flu. No matter, I am determined to turn it around and get back at it. And the great thing is, now, all showered and relaxed I feel great and got a little mental buzz, ready to do it again. I am so glad I did it. 

After a cool down and stretch, I made a protein shake. I decided to change things up a bit and wow, what a difference. Finally, a milkshake I can love: the Pina Colada Shake.  I just happened to pick up a fresh pineapple at the market yesterday and the rest of the ingredients were already in the cupboard. 
I got in the habit of making a shake after a hard work out over a year ago. A few food allergies keep my diet pretty restricted so my hubby suggested I start supplementing with protein shakes since I was burning a lot more calories. Made sense to me. 


Since then I have learned of their benefits:They help the body recover from intense exercise and help repair damage to muscle tissue. Not to mention those who supplement with protein shakes reduce their chances of infections, have less heat exhaustion and reduce the amount of muscle soreness. I couldn't tell you if it works as a weight loss tool. It doesn't for me. 



No comments:

Post a Comment